The following software must be installed separately, it is
not included with the Sock download.
- Sock is delivered as a zip file: you will need a utility to
unpack this, such as
- a Java run time environment. Sock has been tested with
SUN's Java compiler and VM, using version 1.3 on Windows 2000.
It should run under equivalent or later versions on other
platforms. For Sun's JRE see
- A browser which supports the 'onDragStart' event attribute.
This is only required by one feature of Sock: it allows your
editor to be controlled from the browser window.
Currently this means Microsoft Internet Explorer
version 5 or later on Windows platforms only, which you can
download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?
- A text or XML editor. To use the browser to control the
editor this should be one which can be instructed to open a
file at a specific line either from Java or the command line.
See Installation for details of how to configure
Sock to call your editor. Two editors we have used successfully
with Sock are:
- Memory and processor requirements for Sock will depend on the
specification being processed. As an example, one specification of
approxiamately 7000 lines (250Kbytes) takes around 10 seconds on an
800MHz pentium, and uses 30Mb of RAM. We recommended system memory
is at least 128Mb.
Copyright © 2002-2008
Melvaig Technologies Limited